Pain in the kidneys occur quite often and causes can be different. When Troubleshooting, you must know how to realize that renal pain, not the spine or lower back.
Lower back pain is not only kidney disease, but the degenerative disc disease, sciatica, pancreatitis, aortic aneurysm, cholelithiasis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, and inflammatory processes that occur in the pelvis. In 90% of cases back pain is caused by problems with the spine, 6% – diseases of the kidneys and those that remained 4% – diseases of other internal organs.
In addition, back pain is manifested in different ways: it can be pulling, cutting, and give in the lower limbs. At radiculitis and osteochondrosis, pain makes itself known when making movements, constraining and restricting their mobility.
Symptoms of kidney disease
In the diagnosis of disease is necessary to understand that it hurt the kidneys. First of all it is necessary to determine localization of pain, as in renal diseases pain in the back are not over the pelvis, and just above his lower ribs. They can be of two types:
- Acute pain, or renal colic. The main reason is the presence of kidney stones which are formed due to improper metabolism.
- Dull and aching pain. Occurs because of a disruption of the normal functioning of the kidneys, is localized in the lower back and gives to the lower limbs.
First and foremost you need to understand the reason why kidneys hurt. There may have been hypothermia, inflammatory processes (flu, sore throat) or unusual stress on the back due to heavy physical labor.
In addition, the symptoms of kidney diseases are:
- the General condition of weakness;
- high blood pressure;
- loss of appetite;
- nausea or vomiting;
- frequent or painful urination;
- high temperature;
- excessive sweating;
- skin rash;
- blurred vision.
The main kidney disease
The most common diseases are glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, and urolithiasis.
Glomerulonephritis – inflammation of the renal tubules and glomeruli. Develops acutely and is primarily manifested by swelling on the face, the appearance of blood in the urine and high blood pressure. Lower back pain is felt on both sides. The most common cause of this disease serve transferred colds and streptococcal infections (e.g. strep throat). For the diagnosis it is necessary to make the blood and urine tests.
Pyelonephritis – an infectious disease of inflammatory nature, characterized by lesions of the interstitial tissue and renal calyx and pelvis. The cause of the infection in most cases, serve as bacterial pathogens. Sore kidneys in the affected area (pain can be in two sides and one). Deteriorating General condition of the patient, increased body temperature, decreases appetite, in addition, may cause nausea and vomiting. Diagnosed by blood and urine tests, ultrasonography and contrast radiography.
Urolithiasis – stones in the kidneys or ureters. Infectious diseases of the urinary system – the main cause of kidney stones. The main symptom is a severe stabbing pain, called renal colic. Besides fever, there is blood in the urine and deteriorating General condition. Seizures can be caused by alcohol and heavy meals. To reduce the pain requires the use of antispasmodics and pain medications, hospitalization of the patient.
Prevention of kidney pain
In order to reduce the pain in the kidneys, you need to consider total treatment of the disease, which is usually quite complex and lengthy.
It is necessary to avoid drafts, to avoid overcooling, and limit the use of heavy foods (fried, spicy, salty and too greasy), drink enough water (always still). You also need to drink herbal teas and special teas, which have a diuretic effect. The diet should include cranberries, cranberry, cucumber, cantaloupe and watermelons.
Lower back pain
Many faced with the problem of pain in the lumbar region. It is not always possible to immediately understand, a sore lower back or kidneys.
Lower back can hurt for many reasons:
- low back pain,
- aortic aneurysm,
- ulcer stomach or 12-duodenum,
- kidney disease,
- inflammatory processes in the pelvic cavity.
Lower back pain can be a symptom of many diseases, of which 90% of the cases are problems with the spine and back muscles, about 6% of kidney disease, and only the remaining 4% — diseases of other internal organs.
Characteristic pain in diseases of the spine and back muscles
The pain may be pulling or sharp, "shooting", when it is impossible even to straighten his back. If you have problems with spine pain frequently is localized in the middle of the lower back. It may radiate to the lower limbs.
Pain in osteochondrosis and radiculitis usually amplifies during movement. Mobility in the lumbar spine is limited due to muscle spasm. Pain is reduced after rubbing in the small of your back warming and anti-inflammatory ointments or gels. Also back pain can be alleviated if the warming or wear a special orthopedic belt.
The symptoms of kidney disease
To understand that you have a headache, need to know what are the symptoms if you have kidney disease may be accompanied by lower back pain. The most common inflammatory disease of the kidneys glomerulonephritis and pyelonephritis. Also lower back pain may be a manifestation of urolithiasis, the main symptom of which is the so-called renal colic.
It is necessary to remember, what was the cause of lower back pain. Shortly before this, if you have wet feet, this indicates inflammation of the kidneys. If the onset of symptoms was preceded by heavy physical work, unusual strain on the back, or you simply slept in an uncomfortable position, then most likely you are concerned about the spine or the lumbar muscles. Glomerulonephritis can be assumed that if a couple of weeks before occurrence of painful sensations in the lumbar region you had quinsy, flu or other colds.
So how to determine what is kidneys hurt? It is necessary to pay attention to the following symptoms:
- deterioration of health: lethargy, drowsiness, fatigue, weakness;
- increase in blood pressure, and as a consequence, headache;
- the appearance of edema on the face, legs, which is usually noticeable in the morning and in the evening smoothed;
- the increase in body temperature, chills, sweating;
- nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting;
- frequent or painful urination;
- the intensity of pain does not depend on the position of the body.
May also change urine: it becomes a saturated color or Vice versa colorless, contains blood, mucus or sediment. These symptoms speak in favor of kidney disease.
A very important localization of pain. Many do not know where to be treated and what are the characteristics of pain. When kidney disease pain often disturbs with one hand – left or right of the spine. It is localized just below the ribs and may radiate to the following areas:
- on the lateral surface of the abdomen and the groin;
- in the course of the ureter;
- the external sex organs;
- on the inner surface of the thighs.
Characteristics of pain in kidney pathology
For renal colic is characteristic of an acute paroxysmal pain. Painful urolithiasis associated with obstruction of the urinary tract konkrementom and violation of the outflow of urine. Occur enhanced peristalsis and spasm of the ureter, in addition, a stone with a sharp edge injures and irritates the nerve endings in the wall of the urinary tract. These changes are the cause of pain.
The pain caused by the inflammation of the kidneys is of different nature. Inflamed kidneys increase in volume, the fabric swells. The result stretched the renal capsule, which is many nerve endings. Tensile shell is the stimulation of these endings, which leads to pain. For pyelonephritis and glomerulonephritis characterized by a dull aching sensation in the right or left lumbar region. In these diseases the pain is very pronounced, in contrast to kidney stones and diseases of the spine.
Possible causes of lower back pain
Actually, the possible diseases which could cause pain in the lower back, not enough. The principal reason is:
- osteochondrosis, scoliosis, radiculitis;
- inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis);
- aortic aneurysm;
- ulcer of the stomach or bowel (particularly the duodenum);
- kidney disease;
- stones in the gallbladder;
- the inflammatory processes in the pelvis.
According to medical statistics, back pain associated with kidneys comprise only 5-6% of all possible causes. 100 of those who applied, 90 (%) patients low back pain associated with spine problems.
Tips on how to determine pain in the kidneys
Renal colic. Acute pain, caused by a blockage of the urinary tract (hydronephrosis, stones) or the increased size of the kidney (tuberculosis, cysts, tumors). Sometimes the pain reaches such peaks that the person may lose consciousness.
- Swelling. Indicates that the kidneys do not have time to take away the excess water from the body and distribute it to the tissues. This files most often appear under the eyes and on the feet. May be accompanied by itching of the skin and increase in pressure.
- Nagging pain. Appears due to failure of kidney function. Pain often affect the lower limbs.
- Syndrome extreme (twelfth) rib. With light tapping with the left or right side of the waist, under the last rib and entails an increase in pain.
- Poisoning the kidneys. Can cause pain in the kidney in cases of poisoning him. substances, alcoholic drinks, drugs and other harmful substances.
- To conduct the tests. Analysis of urine color, presence of protein, salts, bacteria, leukocytes, etc. will help to determine pain in the kidney and their cause (glomerulonephritis, elevated levels of red blood cells pyelonephritis – white blood cells + bacteria).
- To change the amount of urine. Characterize problems with urination and renal failure.
- And of course, ultrasound. One of the main diagnostic methods, which effectively defines the "problems" that arose with the kidneys and gives essential information to the physician to assign proper diagnosis.
Pain in the kidneys "complain" more often. Each year the number of people who suffer from this disease increases. There are a few very simple rules to avoid kidney problems in the future:
- Do not expose cooling the kidneys.
- On time and correctly to treat colds (sore throat).
- Drink plenty of pure water (no tea, no coffee, no soda, namely water)
When you follow these basic rules, now we would on the contrary, observed the decline in kidney disease.
The causes and the nature of the symptom
Lower back pain can be a symptom of spinal diseases and disorders in the abdominal organs, particularly kidneys. However, according to statistics, disorders of the musculoskeletal function in most cases cause the development of pain symptom. This means when lower back pain in 70% of cases of kidneys to do with it.
Below are the most common causes of low back pain depending on the frequency of their diagnosis:
- Low back pain.
- Vertebral injury.
- Inflammatory processes in the genital organs.
- The cholecystitis.
The determining factor in the recognition of the nature of the disease is the nature of the pain syndrome in the lumbar region.
When diseases of the spine, localized pain in the middle lower back, they are:
Especially often back pain occurs in the morning when the person gets out of bed is characterized by acute pain in the lumbar region. With loads of movement or the pain may increase and radiate to the lower limbs – this happens when sciatica and herniated.
If there is a chronic disease of the spine, e.g. osteochondrosis of the lumbar, pain, changes color or fades briefly when you change body position.
Also for chronic diseases are characterized by nagging, dull pain, especially with prolonged human presence in one position, such as a computer, during sleep, travel in transport. Sharp pain when performing physical activity or during a massage can be congenital diseases of the spine, particularly scoliosis of the lumbar spine.
How to determine what is back pain and not kidney? This can be done by local application of analgesics or warming agents – ointments, gels, patches, belts. When use of these funds, pain in the back subsides.
Also a symptom of a pathological process in the spine is spasm of the lumbar muscles – it's hard to bend and straighten, usually the patient takes posture for the relief of the syndrome.