Pain in the lower back can occur in the elderly and the young. Discomfort may occur due to pathologies of the spine, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, gynecological health problems and many other reasons, of which there are about a hundred. This is the most common complaint of patients when applying to medical institutions.
Why sore lower back?
Doctors often referred pain in the lower back lumbar region, and at the exact location and giving the leg - sciatica. If the affected lumbar roots, this syndrome is called radiculopathy.
Discomfort in the lower spine is not a separate disease, but is considered a serious symptom of a large number of pathologies.
Causes of lower back pain can be the following factors:
- Of renal disease (trauma, inflammation, stones). In these diseases there is pain on the left or right of the spine.
- Osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia and spondylosis. Most often, these diseases occur after the age of 40 and is more typical for men than for women. In these diseases occurs aching pain in the lower spine, which manifests itself even when tilting the head, can numb lower limbs and appear frequent fatigue.
- Acute atypical appendicitis.
- Gastrointestinal disease (ulcer of the duodenum or stomach, inflammation of the pancreas).
- Gynecological diseases (chlamydia, gonorrhea, candidiasis, pathology of uterus, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis). Often in such cases, patients come to the doctor with "dull" lower back. Pain in lower back in women, also during menstruation.
- The effects of a stroke, heart attack spine, resulting in disrupted spinal circulation.
- Skin diseases (dermatitis, ringworm, granuloma). The pain and burning coming from the inside of the skin.
- Microtrauma of the muscles. In this case, the spasm may radiate to the coccyx and appear some time after damage.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Weight. Lower back with excess weight hurts from excessive load on the spine.
- Allergies. In such cases, there is a nagging pain in the lower back, which will be treated with medication method.
- TB. This pathology destroys the individual vertebrae and causes local discomfort.
- An imbalance of the regeneration/destruction of bone tissue. Aching pain becomes more intense when the weather changes or the load on the spine.
- Joint disease in the elderly.
Frequent stays in a sitting position
- Malignant tumors in the spine. Causes of pain in this case, the metastases in the lower back.
- Acute infectious diseases (phlebitis, proctitis, discitis, osteomyelitis, diseases of ENT-organs).
- Often lower back pain can occur from injury. Fractures of the vertebrae, there is a strong and sharp pain at the bottom or on the sides of it.
- Growing pains in children.
- During pregnancy. Pain in the lower back in this case is caused by physiological changes.
- Unfavorable heredity.
- Bad habits (Smoking, alcohol, drugs).
- Increased physical activity or frequent stays in a sitting position.
When ovarian pathology, urinary and digestive systems, diseases of the spine pain in lower back left.
Discomfort in the lower back in men, often occurs for reasons of overweight, sedentary work, a long stay behind the wheel, frequent physical exertion, trauma or hypothermia in women causes of gynecological diseases, frequent carrying of the baby or because of a sedentary lifestyle.
How can there be pain?
Pain syndrome low back used to be divided into two main types: primary and secondary. The primary means spasm caused by inflammation of adjacent structures (nerves and roots). Secondary manifests the following problems:
- Congenital pathology.
- Injuries of the spine.
- Of the tumor.
- Metabolic disorders.
- Diseases of the stomach, pancreas, intestines, abdominal aorta and urogenital system.
According to duration, pain is divided into chronic (more than 12 weeks) and acute (up to 12 weeks).
On the specifics of pain at specific (further threatening the health and life of patients) and nonspecific (in which it is impossible to establish an accurate diagnosis).
By the nature of manifestation, pain is divided into the following:
- Local. Caused by tissue damage and is permanent.
- Projected. Can be localized in one place and spread around the lumbar-sacral Department. Occur when damage to the nervous structures. Varieties such pain - radicular and radicular. Have a sweeping character, usually dull or aching. Movements that affect and irritate the roots, the pain increases and becomes sharp and cutting.
- Reflected. Occurs when pathologies in the internal organs and is localized in the abdominal cavity or pelvic area.
How to narrow the range of diseases?
Different reasons cause different character of pain in the lower back. And in order that the doctor could diagnose, you must be able to describe the pain.
- Pronounced pain syndrome. Occurs suddenly and is localized at a certain point. For example, back pain bottom left.
- Lingering pain from the awkward position or monotonous processes. If a sore lower back this way, the specialist can narrow down the suspected causes of the symptom significantly.
- Radiating pain that travels to the legs, and the smell. Most likely, this symptom occurs because the intervertebral hernia.
- Sharp aching pain, localized low back also requires attention of a physician, but usually not dangerous.
- Discomfort the right or left lower back, which does not stop even after taking a comfortable position, may indicate a malignant tumor.
Even after the determination of the type and variety of the syndrome, the patient should not self-medicate, which often has no benefits, only exacerbates the situation.
If you experience spasms in the back right, middle or left, you should immediately visit a therapist.
The doctor examines the patient and in the presence of "signs of threat" (a malignant tumor, weight loss, immunosuppression, drug abuse, urinary tract infections, relentless pain, fever, recurrent pain in the elderly patient, metabolic bone disorders, use of anticoagulants, a significant spinal injury) may appoint the following studies:
- General analysis of blood;
- a bone marrow biopsy;
- consultation with other professionals;
- biochemical analysis of blood;
- urine analysis according to Nechyporenko, zimnitskiy;
The MRI procedure
- stool and secretions of the genital organs;
- x-rays of the spine;
- CT and MRI;
- Ultrasound of internal organs;
- endoscopy of the intestine.
The list of diagnostic methods can be extended as identify the exact source of the discomfort.
In the absence of "signs of danger" the doctor appoints to the patient anesthetizing therapy.
Identify the following factors from the patient indicating the possible presence of a tumor disease:
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss.
- Conservative treatment for months does not give positive results.
- Severe pain lasts for more than one month.
Young people (up to 50 years) with a sharp weight loss, but with improvements due to conservative treatment, the cancer can be excluded with 100% probability.
Treatment of pain in the lower back
The doctor prescribes treatment of a patient based on the characteristics of the organism and the nature of the disease. If the lower back hurts the spine, the treatment deals with the spine, a neurologist or orthopedic trauma. The physician should interview the patient: he endured the anesthesia of the femur; has a fever; how fluid the lumbar; which he feels pain.
Treatment of discomfort in the back is always complex:
- Physiotherapy. With treatments improving blood circulation in the tissues of the back and relax muscles. Cramps in the lower part of the spine, caused by problems with the spine can be: electro and phonophoresis; laser treatment; magnetic therapy, wave therapy; cryotherapy; mud baths; swimming classes; reflexology. The number of sessions of appropriate physiotherapy treatment, as in the situation with medicines, appoint a doctor.
- Physical therapy, gymnastics. Without regular exercise, any disease that causes spasms in the lower back, it can only get worse. In the acute variety of the syndrome, the physician first recommends wearing special orthopedic corset and to stay in bed, but as soon as the pain subsides a bit, solve some exercises. The first exercise performed in the supine position, legs alternately bend and straighten 20 times. Next, turned over on his stomach, the patient should raise the opposite arm and leg 15 times. Then carefully get up on all fours and arch the back alternately up and down, pausing in each position for 5 seconds 10 times. Slowly rising with a rounded back, you have to get up to position feet shoulder width apart and exercise leg swings - 10 times on each leg. Further, in the presence of the horizontal bar or wall bars, running vis on hand (30 seconds). The number of repetitions is given approximately for beginners. If they are difficult, the standards can be reduced or, conversely, to increase, in the case of small loads. It is important not to overload the spine, the main aim of such exercises is to maintain muscle tone.
- Massage and manual therapy. This method of treatment is carried out only after consultation with your doctor. Massage and manual therapy can improve the blood flow in the tissues, to release tension from the muscles, eliminate stiffness in the movements and to remove subluxations of the joints.
- The operating method. If none of the methods did not fit, the doctors have resorted to surgery. After surgery, the patient needs some time to walk to the locking brace and is undergoing rehabilitation.
- Traditional medicine. Depending on the localization of the disease, back, left or right, there are many recipes for compresses, ointments and tinctures that you can make at home. Most often used infusions of celery and dried leaves of the raspberry.
There are times when the pain is so intense that person may be in pain and shock, then the doctor should immediately inject the patient strong painkillers and to call an ambulance.
Not to earn the pathology of musculoskeletal pain in the lower back, you need to:
- To observe moderation in physical exertion. The patient it is important to strengthen the abdominal muscles and spine and not to overload them.
- When you workout at the gym, avoid exercises on a treadmill.
- To undergo therapeutic massage.
- At the slightest symptoms of back pain, seek the advice of a physician.
- In cases when the pain occurs when you walk or gives to a leg, you should consult a podiatrist.
Low back pain can be as temporary as a result of fatigue or overexertion of muscles and is, after a stay in a horizontal position, and a symptom of a serious disease. Timely treatment to the doctor may help the patient to start treatment in time and get rid of tormenting his discomfort. And prevention of pain syndrome relieve occurrence in future such unpleasant symptoms.
And some of the secrets
Have you ever experienced persistent pain in the back, neck or unbearable pain in the joints? Judging by the fact that you are reading this article You or your loved one are already familiar with them personally. And, of course, you know what:
- Constant aching and sharp pain;
- The impossibility of comfortable and easy to move around;
- Constant tension of the muscles of the back and neck;
- Unpleasant crunching and clicking in the joints;
- Sharp backache in the spine or unreasonable pain in the joints;
- Impossibility long to sit in the same position.