Back pain in the morning can talk about the many pathologies in the body, and, at first glance, is not always related to the spine. Lifestyle, long-term work in a forced position, mismatched bedding accessories can also be the answer to the question, why back pain after sleeping.
Discomfort in the back in the morning after sleep can occur in people of any age, for various reasons, including in healthy, not previously queri health.
The reason why there is back pain in the morning
Back pain can be caused by various factors:
- Other reasons.
It is quite easily eliminated reasons:
- Improper posture at night. When the spine is during sleep in a forced position, not relaxed, this causes muscle spasm in the back and as a consequence aching, nagging pain in the morning symptoms in the cervical and thoracic region, between the shoulder blades, around the waist.
- Too soft mattress. If the mattress is not a pillowtop, you'll be excessive softness and ease, the spine when you sleep on this bed as if falls and is in a non-physiologica position, which is also a cause of tension in the back in the morning. Mattress it is advisable to choose medium hardness, with good filler, which support the back in an anatomically correct form. For children who have spine and his system is just being formed, needs orthopedic mattresses.
- Low or high pillow. Low pillows are used for sleeping only in children up to one year. If you sleep at night on low or high pillow, it could lead to tension in the cervical segment of the spine, spasm of the muscles that area and the pain, which persists not only in the morning, but also throughout the day.
This is a number of diseases and pathological conditions of the spine and joints
The most common reason why back pain after sleeping. Osteochondrosis is a common name for degenerative processes in the cartilage and bones of the vertebrae, which lead to their deformation, the pinching of nerve roots, disturbances of blood supply and innervation of the organs in the region of the spine and other systems. Back pain after sleeping can be one of the signs that point directly to low back pain as the cause morning discomfort.
Depending on the lesion symptoms can occur in different parts of the back and radiate to other parts of the body:
- Cervical osteochondrosis is characterized by pain in the neck and head, to return into the area between the shoulder blades and shoulder. Frequent headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, also joins numbness of the hands and upper torso.
- Thoracic osteochondrosis is pain in the chest and back, with moderate and then severe intensity. When you inhale, trying to get up or change position the pain occurs in the chest type intercostal neuralgia. The defeat of the thoracic segment of the symptoms reminiscent of symptoms of asthma and angina.
- Lumbar osteochondrosis is defined by pain and tension in the lower back, strengthening these symptoms when driving in the lumbar region when the patient bends or turns, also have intestinal and stomach pain.
May also be accompanied by pain in the back in the morning after a night alone diseased joint is flat, which affects its stiffness due to inflammation and causes contracture of the ligaments and muscle tissue, which gives the symptoms in the first movement. As motor activity of the joint begins to work fully and the pain goes away.
- Bechterew's Disease. It affects the joints of the spine, causes pain in lower back in the sacrum and iliac region. The etiology of the disease at the moment is not completely installed.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. An autoimmune inflammatory disease affecting connective tissue, including cartilage of the joints.
- Osteoarthritis. Degenerative-dystrophic lesions of the cartilage of the joints. Localization of pain depends on the location of the pathological focus.
- Spondiloarthrosis. Striking facies joint with neurological disorders. When running spondylarthrosis pain in the back could not be held both in the morning and for the next day.
Back pain after sleeping can also be due to muscle spasm or sprain, caused by the following reasons:
- The presence of the curvature type of scoliosis, kyphosis;
- An uncomfortable posture in the period of the night;
- Heavy physical activity the day before, when the usual hours of sleep is not enough for recovery.
- Injury or muscle tension, which causes a shift in joints.
It's worth to mention such a cause of back pain in the morning as the computer game syndrome caused by long time with computer games. On the occurrence of pain is influenced by several factors:
- Long inactivity, which causes stagnation of blood in the back muscles and tension along the spine.
- At the same time, the voltage of the muscular frame in moments of stressful situations in the game.
- Realistic games can cause psychological dependence on them, which directly affects the quality of sleep.
These aspects can lead to morning fatigue, aching joints and muscle back pain.
Back pain in the morning is also due to the following diseases and conditions:
- TB. Often affects the cartilage discs of the vertebrae, deforming them and causing discomfort in the morning.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. This files most often characterized by pain in the lower segment of the back. When constipation pain occurs in lower back and tailbone.
- Of renal disease, particularly inflammatory conditions – pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis characterized by a great pain in the lumbar-lateral region.
- Nervous pathology, psychosomatic phenomena – spasm and tension in the back can be a reflection of suffering stress.
In addition, back pain in the morning under such conditions as endocrine disorders, osteoporosis, osteomyelitis, epidural abscess, trauma, stroke, disease of blood.
To determine the cause of back pain only by a qualified specialist, especially if you have chronic headaches and my back hurts every morning. Previously, the patient should visit the physician for a preliminary diagnosis, then it is forwarded to a relevant specialist – a neurologist, cardiologist, gastroenterologist and others.
The causes of back pain after sleeping are determined by visual inspection, history taking, visual examination techniques, including:
- Radiography, CT, MRI;
- Individual stars;
- Laboratory tests.
How to treat back pain in the morning
Therapeutic range depends on the cause of the pain in the morning. To relieve the painful symptoms used medication:
- The course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, often on the basis of indomethacin or diclofenac injections, these drugs reduce inflammation. They can be contraindications if the back hurts because of gastrointestinal problems, as NSAIDs can adversely affect mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract. These funds are also applied locally in the form of ointments, are applied to the skin over the lesion during exacerbation.
- Corticosteroids – hormone therapy in case of revealed eternal pain can also have an effect.
- Other medicines to eliminate the causes of pain after sleep, and are intended solely your doctor.
Methods of physical therapy and Eastern medicine, such as nulla, chiropractic practice, stone therapy, massages, are also used in the complex of therapeutic measures in the morning pain, while improving sleep quality.