Back pain between the shoulder blades is not a separate disease, is only a symptom of a fairly broad range of pathologies: these include diseases of the spine, and muscle-tendon system, and the nerve roots, "responsible" for this site.
In the area between the shoulder blades can also give pain in various diseases of the internal organs.
Quick and accurate diagnosis of this syndrome causes pain between the shoulder blades will allow you to avoid complications or chronic processes.
List the main diseases that can occur with this symptom:
- traumatic injuries of the constituent structures of the thoracic and cervical spine;
- lose thoracic or cervical;
- curvature of the spine laterally;
- intercostal hernia;
- hernia between the thoracic vertebrae;
- humeroscapular periarthrosis;
- intercostal neuralgia;
- shingles and some other infectious diseases;
- heart disease: coronary artery disease, myocardial infarction;
- pathology of the mediastinum (the organs between the two lungs);
- diseases of the esophagus, stomach, duodenum;
- diseases of the liver and hepatobiliary system;
- lung disease and their shell – pleura;
- the kidney disease;
- frequent performance of a certain kind of action on the background of systemic diseases.
In the chest and between the shoulder blades
Usually it is manifested:
- curvature of the spine in anterior-posterior direction, convex back;
- disc herniation thoracic.
In this case, pain present for a long time, have a different expression, usually absent in the morning, increasing in the evening.
In addition, pain can be a symptom of:
- coronary heart disease: in this case, is characterized by the occurrence of pain at the height of physical activity; it usually takes place when taking nitroglycerin tablets;
- cholecystitis: pain associated with a fatty meal;
- hepatitis: characterized by increased bleeding (e.g., after brushing your teeth), discoloration of the skin;
- pneumonia and pleurisy: there will be a cough, increased body temperature, signs of intoxication.
When you inhale
Causes pain between shoulder blades when breathing can be:
- Intercostal neuralgia. It has shooting, surrounding the character. Enhanced with a deep breath, sudden movement of the body. Characteristically fever, if the neuralgia caused by herpes zoster virus. At the same time on the skin of the diseased area will see little bubbles of transparent liquid.
- Lung disease. In this case, the pain between the shoulder blades is also present during inspiration, increases with deep inspiration and accompanied by fever, most commonly cough (absence of cough does not mean the absence of pneumonia), weakness, fatigue, sometimes nausea and lack of appetite.
Pain can intensify at night.
Usually, this pain indicates an increase in the load on the spine in connection with an offset centre of gravity.
The latter symptoms, together with pain between the shoulder blades can speak of pneumonia or pyelonephritis.
After a workout
So manifest pain overload or the muscles of this region, or breast (rarely cervical) spine.
In the morning
Aching, dull pain that occurs in the morning and can Wake the person says about the aggravation of degenerative disc disease.
The rise in temperature and symptoms of intoxication are saying about diseases of internal organs.
When you cough
Usually the pain when you cough characteristic of intercostal neuralgia.
But it is also typical:
- surrounding the character;
- pain when feeling between ribs.
The pain in neuralgia it increases in a certain body position, walking, physical activities.
So manifests itself peptic ulcer mostly stomach and sometimes duodenum 12.
But pain in this pathology is marked heartburn, belching, nausea.
Communication of pain between the shoulder blades with swallowing requires mandatory consultation of the doctor.
It may be such severe diseases as:
- inflammation or ulcers in the esophagus;
- inflammation of the organs located between the two lungs;
- disease of the diaphragm (back then, apart from pain when swallowing, pain will increase under such loads, when increased intra-abdominal pressure).
Which gives to the hand
This is a symptom of degenerative disc disease of the cervical or vermehrung Department.
Fever, vomiting, weakness should not be.
Which gives to the neck
This diagnosis is quite difficult.
This symptom can manifest as diseases of the spine and life-threatening pathology:
- Humeroscapular periarthrosis. In this case, back pain in the hand associated with certain movements. Not accompanied by fever or a change in the General condition of the person.
- Biliary colic. Arises due to the overlap of the outflow of bile stone. The pain is sharp, stabbing. Suffering is also a common condition.
- Disease aortic aneurysm. It is characterized by pain that is localized mainly in the chest, gives under the shoulder blade and neck.
- Myocardial infarction. Can very rarely occur in the not retrosternal and interscapular pain, which radiates to the neck. Often, this life threatening disease, the pain is localized behind the sternum, and the scapula and in the left hand, and neck.
Radiating to stomach
This is usually peptic ulcer – the upper part of the stomach or intestines. Accompanied by nausea, belching, heartburn, feeling of distension.
Such pain is usually talking about the emergence or aggravation of diseases of the spine:
- disk protrusion;
But these problems should not cause loss of consciousness, fever, deterioration of health.
Almost always this is a sign of developing scoliosis due to posture.
Thus it can be seen that the lower corners of the blades and the shoulders are at different levels.
If the pain has a connection with food intake, are belching or heartburn, it can be gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.
In this last case, a visit to a pediatric gastroenterologist delay is not worth it.
The possible nature of the pain
We give different examples of diseases the nature of pain.
You need to consider that the direct and absolute guarantee of accurate diagnosis only on this criterion there, as the pain threshold and the feeling in one and the same disease is different for different people.
Pain of this nature usually appears in response to the infringement, inflammation or irritation of one or more spinal nerve roots: this is what was previously called "sciatica".
Due to this muscle spasm the spine is clamped even more.
Biliary colic is also seen sharp pains, but they arise not only between the shoulder blades, but in the right hypochondrium.
But pain also suffers overall health, nausea and vomiting.
This word is most often characterize the pain under these conditions:
- Protrusion of the intervertebral disc;
- Intercostal neuralgia, during which people were even afraid to breathe;
- Pancreatitis. He is accompanied by other symptoms: bloating, diarrhea, impaired General condition;
- Myocardial infarction. In this case, health also suffers significantly. Often loss of consciousness, arrhythmia, drop in blood pressure.
In this case differencebut 2 States – ischemic heart disease (its subspecies, angina) and low back pain.
The disease pain:
- will be burning, squeezing;
- does not last long (only when heart attack);
- passes a few minutes after taking nitroglycerin;
- does not depend on the motion;
- subsides alone.
For violation of the same nerve root pain:
- connected with the movement;
- pass after taking pain medications or taking a certain position;
- does not respond to nitroglycerin.
Observed in such diseases:
- attack of cholecystitis: appears in response to the consumption of fatty, spicy, fried foods, also hurts right under ribs
- stomach ulcer, which is passed into the pancreas: the pain will not only between the shoulder blades, but in the stomach
- aggravation of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic: the kind of pain that arose in response to any movement or weight lifting.
This kind of pain is almost always talking about diseases of the spine and bones:
- hernia of the intervertebral disc;
- scapula-costal syndrome;
In some cases it can be manifested peptic ulcer disease and coronary artery disease.
It's a pain, characteristic for the bone and muscle structures:
- myofascial syndrome;
- osteochondrosis of the thoracic or cervical;
- the shoulder-rib syndrome.
Almost 90% of the causes of pain described by the characteristic "dull" is the pathology of muscles, tendons and ligaments.
If the cause of pain in the spine, it can be described as follows:
- pain does not give in other parts of the body;
- increases with exercise, which involves the sore muscles.
This is a symptom of the following conditions:
- Pleurisy. Then in addition to pain, people will be coughing, weakness.
- Starts perforated ulcer. In this case, before it was abdominal pain, heartburn, nausea, bloating.
- Vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Biliary colic.
What signs may be accompanied by pain?
Additional symptoms more precisely will help you to understand how the disease is caused by pain in the interscapular region.
Burn and bakes the back between the shoulder blades
The causes of this condition:
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic or cervical;
- The attack of biliary colic;
- Reflux esophagitis;
- Renal colic.
The causes of these symptoms:
- thoracic osteochondrosis;
- scapulohumeral periarthritis;
- peptic ulcer disease;
- biliary dyskinesia.
This combination of symptoms can be characteristic of one of the two diseases:
- infringement of the nerve root of the spinal nerve, which are sensitive fiber;
- exacerbation of chronic pyelonephritis.
If the pain between the shoulder blades accompanied by fever, it is typical for diseases of internal organs:
- tuberculosis of the lung or bone
Cough and pain between the shoulder blades accompanied by diseases of broncho-pulmonary system:
- pneumonia with pleurisy;
- the lung tumor.
It's hard to breathe
This is a definite sign of lung damage.
This combination of symptoms of pleurisy, pneumonia.
Lump in my throat
Indicates that the suffering of the esophagus - it can be inflammatory diseases, tumors or varicose cirrhosis of the liver veins of the esophagus.
Pain between the shoulder blades combined with nausea appear:
- peptic ulcer disease;
- myocardial infarction;
- subphrenic abscess;
- liver disease;
- of kidney disease.
These two symptoms – pain between the shoulder blades and belching, almost always talking about the defeat of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
So, it may be: gastro-esophageal reflux, gall-stone and peptic ulcer disease.
Shortness of breath
It is a symptom, which in itself indicates that the medical help you need as life threatening.
This combination of signs are seen:
What to do?
Pain syndrome such localization is not recommended to endure more hours.
If it is accompanied by shortness of breath, fever, weakness, cough and hemoptysis, you need to call the doctor, not to speculate about the origin of such pain.
If such symptoms do not, you can try to resolve the pain itself.
- Hands put on the shoulders, making them circular movements with your elbows, several times back and forth.
- Hands lift up, then lift the arms themselves, closing his palm over the head. With the head lowered, gaze fixed on the hands.
- Do torso twists left and right (twisting).
Other methods of self-treatment
Include applying to the area in which is felt the most pain as ointments, prepared independently of the herbs, and the means of official medicine:
- Take 50 ml dry mustard, camphor, alcohol and vodka, mix with 3 beaten egg whites. All components to mix, infuse for 10 hours in a dark place, you can then apply as a compress.
- Mix 100 g of honey, 50 ml of aloe juice, 150 ml of vodka. To insist 12 hours, apply as a compress.
Depend on what the cause was caused by pain.
So, if the pain was caused by the most common cause is osteochondrosis, the prevention lies in the following points:
- Periodic visits to the massage and physiotherapy.
- Correct lifting weights.
- Avoid hypothermia, drafts.
- Proper nutrition.
Thus, pain between the shoulder blades can be a symptom of a huge number of diseases.
The main culprits – the spine, its supporting muscles and ligaments.
But also such pain can say that seriously affected any internal organs that require detailed examination and treatment, often in hospital.