Back pain above the waist is familiar to many people. At least once in life each of us has experienced that symptom. The manifestation of pain associated with lumbar and thoracic spine, but the reason may be not only problems with the spine. Which would not have shown pain just above the waist or below, right or left, it is a signal of the body about violations at work. Causes of pain above the waist can carry pathological or not pathological. Some pathological causes can be associated with systemic diseases, other related diseases of the spine or muscles. The pain can manifest as sharp, gnawing, dull, burning, accompanied by tingling, numbness, formication. The intensity varies from weak to moderate, which prevents to do any movement. Be combined with pain in the hip, leg, foot.
Pathological causes are associated with systemic diseases in which there is pain in the spine above the waist:
- Obesity (excess weight): when overweight, the spine is subjected to excessive load, to maintain daily activity, this leads to a gradual wear and tear, reducing the height of the vertebrae and compression of the nerve endings;
- Pressure on nerves: this is the most common cause if the back pain above the waist and herpes which sharply arises. Can spread to the leg. Including hip, thigh, buttock. And sometimes the whole leg, including the foot. Compression can be caused by a decrease in the lumbar and thoracic vertebrae with the possible formation of a herniated disc.
- Tumor: associated with the presence of tumors, is rare. The presence of tumor may manifest as a nagging pain, back pain just above the waist. Tumors that cause such type of pain : kidney tumors, tumors of rickets, lipoma, fibrosarcoma, bone metastases from tumors located in other parts of the body (in this course of the disease the pain syndrome to become strong).
- Spinal stenosis: a degenerative disease associated with aging. This leads to compression of spinal nerves, which entails the appearance of pain.
- Infection: an inflammatory condition caused by an infection. Pain arising directly from bone diseases such as osteomyelitis or a consequence of diseases such as cystitis, pyelonephritis, prostatitis, etc.
Pathological the most common causes of back pain and lower back:
- Posture: incorrect posture during the day is the main reason. Those who often sit at work in front of the computer can take inappropriate and incorrect positions that cause muscle strain and tension the lumbar region of the spine, causing pain the muscles of the back above the lumbar area, inflammation. And also back pain below shoulder blades above the waist
- Pregnancy: during pregnancy, especially towards the end of the period, often suffer from pain in the lumbar. This is due to the increased weight of the uterus and close to the lumbar region of the spine, causing inflammation that cause pain.
- After the delivery period: constant wearing of the child on the hands and not typical of the movement, cause excessive load on the spine.
- Sports: can cause pain of muscular origin and bony. Causes a big load, weight, voltage, microtrauma after a workout or competition, muscle contractures, the consequence would be a pain.
- Stress and anxiety: pain is psychosomatic or psychogenic nature of the region, causing excessive muscle tension.
- Injuries: physical injuries lumbar and thoracic spine.
Among other pathological reasons can be called chairs, mattresses, sofas, beds, shoes etc. in fact, when the spine does not have good support when sitting, lying, walking, you may experience inflammation, leading to back pain.Lower back pain above the waist in the back right, a nagging pain in the neck can be a symptom of other diseases associated with other organs: diarrhea, menstrual cycle (abdominal cramps), diseases of the pelvic organs, diseases of the kidneys, colon, etc. This pain is a symptom, so the diagnosis should be aimed at determining the causes. A physical examination, medical history, additional tests will help the doctor to determine the cause and prescribe treatment pain above the waist and back. What to do when the manifestation of the first symptoms and to what doctor to address? First, what needs to be done to address to the neurologist. He will ask you questions on the nature of pain and location, frequency of occurrence, frequency of occurrence, test neurological reflexes. If you want to assign a diagnostic study such as MRI (the power of the unit should be 1 Tesla or more) or a CT scan of the lumbar spine.