In this article, what causes back pain, how to treat this condition and how to prevent the onset of pain with the same localization.
The causes of pain
Most often back pain in the supine position caused due to the development of such diseases:
- Sprain or muscles.
- Dissection of the aorta.
- Degenerative diseases of the vertebral discs.
- Various viral damage.
- Infection in the spine.
- Low back pain.
- Kidney stones.
- Fracture of the pelvis.
- Deformation or acquired curvature of the spine (kyphosis).
- A pinched spinal nerves.
- Displacement of the intervertebral discs.
In addition, pain in the area of the back can occur when excessive load on the muscles and spine.
Sometimes these symptoms may signal the development of cancer of internal organs (kidney, heart, or pancreas). Pain will only be given in the area of the back, and to focus in the abdomen or chest.
Pregnancy in the last stages of its flow can cause aching pain in the lower back. This is due to the load, which have to withstand the back of the woman, when the size of the fruit is already large enough.
The symptoms of the disease
Back pain may have a different character of its expression and localization. With these data, doctors can diagnose a particular disease.
Back pain can be:
- Aching (can indicate excessive overload of the back muscles, as well as the development of kidney disease).
- Back pain clearly localized in one place (may be indicative of osteoarthritis or arthritis).
- Pain that is accompanied by high fever and exhaustion (may indicate the development of cancer).
- Painful sensations that occur at night.
- Cramping pain with some localization.
- Pain that occurs after long lying and which gives to the side.
- Pain that occurs after heavy lifting and enhances sleep.
- Discomfort in the back, which give in the buttocks and legs.
- Acute pain, in which man after sleeping position it is very difficult to stand up straight (may indicate a pinched nerve, and curvature of the spine).
Usually, back pain in the supine position are of a chronic nature, as often people just don't pay attention to their appearance. Over time, these sensations will decrease, but this does not indicate that their cause is gone.
The treatment of diseases which are associated with the back, is the doctor-vertebrologist.
After examination of the person and medical history, the doctor will prescribe the following tests:
- X-ray of spine (to exclude possible fractures).
- MRI of the spine (give the full picture of muscle tissue).
- General analysis of blood and urine to get an overall picture of the health status and the presence of inflammatory process.
- Examination by a neurologist.
In order to exclude possible cancer pathology, but also diseases of internal organs that can cause pain in the back, should come the following survey:
- Abdominal ultrasound;
- consultation with a gastroenterologist;
- inspection at the proctologist, gynecologist (for women) and urologists (for men).
Treatment of back is complex with the use of pharmacological and physiotherapeutic therapy. In some cases (given the necessary indications), the patient can be administered massage, therapeutic exercise, manual therapy or acupuncture.
The treatment chosen for each patient individually depending on his diagnosis, condition, age and concomitant diseases.
To relieve back pain should:
- to limit heavy physical activity that can give the load on the spine;
- wearing a special support corset;
- not to stay in bed, as it can contribute to the transition of acute pain into a chronic form (lying in bed after a spinal fracture).
Drug therapy against back pain involves taking such groups of drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory medication . They can be in the form of tablets or creams.
- Pain medicine .
- Compresses with a solution of novocaine (to relieve acute pain).
- Antispasmodic medications to eliminate muscle spasms.
- Chondroprotectors (to slow the destruction of cartilage tissue). Usually these drugs are prescribed for arthritis, arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
- Vitamin complexes.
If back pain was caused by cancer or disease of the internal organs, then the patient is assigned appropriate medications, and developing treatment plans.
It is important to know that self-appoint a drug is impossible, as their inappropriate admission (incorrectly matched group of drug or dosage) may cause different side effects and General deterioration in health.
Physiotherapy treatment involves the holding of such treatments:
- magnetic therapy;
Also, the patient is recommended to swim.
Another effective method of treatment is acupuncture. It is aimed at reducing back pain and relieving muscle tension is often caused by psychological condition of the patient.
Despite the usefulness of such a procedure, it is impossible to hold at such indications in a patient:
- in acute respiratory diseases;
- when blood clotting;
- in acute diseases of the kidneys and liver;
- in development of oncological pathologies;
- in the period after surgery;
- diseases of the blood vessels or heart;
- when the tendency of the patient to bleeding.
Chiropractic is also very effective to eliminate back pain. It may appoint only the doctor after a thorough diagnosis of the patient. When conducted properly, such therapy helps to relieve back pain and relieve muscle tension.
It is important to know that this treatment is preferably carried out in such cases:
- in the period after experiencing a heart attack;
- tuberculosis or other serious infectious diseases;
- when the hernia of the intervertebral discs;
- when blood clotting;
- in anemia;
- the elderly;
- in diseases of the blood vessels.
If you perform manual therapy to patients with the above contraindications, this can lead to serious complications in his condition.
In order to minimise the risk of back pain, you should follow these recommendations:
- Elastic sleep on orthopaedic mattress and the same pillow (in General it is desirable to learn to sleep without a pillow).
- To maintain good posture when sitting at the table, and walking.
- Eat right, maintaining a stable weight.
- To walk in heels for two hours. Most of the shoes should be flat shoes.
- With a long stay in a standing position must finds the fulcrum for the elbow, shoulders or arms a little to relieve the pressure on the body and spine.
- When lifting anything you need to squat, not bend over.
- Avoid sudden movements and turns, to avoid damaging the muscles of the spine.
- Engage in physical activities to strengthen the muscles of the body. It is best for this purpose is therapeutic physical training, swimming, yoga, running and fitness classes.
- To avoid hypothermia and drafts, which can "blow" the back muscles and cause pain in them.
- In daily work at the computer should take frequent breaks and stretch your back, arms, neck and shoulders.
- Try not to stay in one position longer than an hour.