In the process of evolution man has become a creature upright, but stood up and made the spine daily to experience a high load, which marked the beginning of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. A common complaint of patients in the doctor's office - back pain in the lumbar region, may be the consequence of various pathologies of the spine. While pain in the lower back arises as a reflection of the different problems with internal organs or are accompanied by severe systemic illness.
The task of the physician to determine the true cause of lower back pain for which the patient will have to undergo a full inspection. According to the statistics from lower back pain suffers every third inhabitant of large cities, regardless of gender and age. For some patients the discomfort becomes so familiar that they cease to notice it. But to ignore such symptom, as the progression of the disease can lead to very unpleasant consequences, up to disability. What to do if back pain in the lumbar region, to what doctor to address and how to deal with such symptom?
Why back pain in the lumbar region?
Good to know
Lower back pain is a nonspecific symptom that can be caused by many reasons, ranging from the usual exhaustion and ending with the formation of malignant tumors.
In medicine adopted the classification according to which all the mechanisms of the development of lower back pain are divided into:
Primary - pain cause degenerative changes in the spine (osteochondrosis, spondylarthrosis, disc protrusion).
Secondary back pain is a reflection of a number of diseases:
- growing pains (scoliosis);
- metabolic abnormalities (osteoporosis);
- injuries (contusions, sprains, fractures);
- neoplastic processes;
- inflammatory diseases (arthritis, spondylitis);
- infectious lesions that affect the intervertebral discs.
Reflected pain in the lumbar region often occur in diseases of the pelvic organs, gynecological and urological pathologies.
The nature of the pain syndrome can be acute or chronic, localization to the right or to the left of the vertebral column. Often there is pain radiating to back, groin, lower extremities, complicated by neurological symptoms, are the cause of restricted mobility and stiffness of movements. Let's focus on the most common reasons that cause the characteristic pain in the lumbar region.
Back pain in the lumbar region - the reasons
The most common causes of pain in the lumbar region includes the following States:
- Injuries of the spine. Bad fall, severe blow, or even weight lifting can cause fracture, displacement of the vertebrae in the lumbar spine, stretching the muscles. Any injury accompanied by severe, sharp pain that literally does not give a person straighten out. Sometimes spinal cord injury leads to paralysis of the lower extremities. The diagnosis after x-rays of the spine and methods of treatment will depend on the type of injury and severity of injuries.
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine. Disease degenerative-dystrophic character, which leads to damage to the cartilage of the intervertebral discs. At the initial stage of degenerative disc disease is felt only slight discomfort in the lumbar region, which increases after exercise. As the progression of the disease begins with the destruction of the fibrous ring and decreases the distance between the vertebrae, which leads to pinching the nerve endings and severe pain in the lower back that give in the leg. In the last stages of the disease is spine deformation, the formation of hernias, intense pain become permanent, a person can lose mobility and become disabled.
- Sciatica. The disease occurs due to the compression of spinal nerve roots. The cause of lumbar back pain may become frequent hypothermia, spinal injuries, tumors, hernia, calcification. Intense bouts of lower back pain arises suddenly during physical exertion, change of posture, even when you cough or sneeze, accompanied by changes in sensitivity in the course of the radicular nerve, give in the thighs, buttocks. During the attack the person can't straighten his back.
- The herniated disc. Pathology is accompanied by protrusion of the body of the intervertebral disk into the spinal canal. Disease can cause trauma, low back pain, low-active lifestyle, weightlifting. Marked long-lasting, aching pain in the lower back that is aggravated by movement, prolonged standing, coughing, sneezing. As the progression of the disease pain syndrome increases, giving in the thigh and buttocks accompanied by numbness of limbs, loss of mobility. There are problems with a chair, incontinence and other complications.
- The spinal stenosis. The narrowing of the spinal canal is most often diagnosed in the elderly. This condition contribute to degenerative processes in the spine with aging of the body. The result is pain in that section of the spine, which has undergone pathological changes. Stenosis is accompanied by not only pain, but also feeling crawl "pins and needles" and numbness of the limbs. Patients with stenosis of quickly get tired, can't walk, suffering from intermittent claudication.
Characteristics of lumbar pain
To assume the existence of a particular disease experienced doctor can by the nature of the pain syndrome. Pain in the lumbar region can be abrupt, acute, and occur attacks, or chase people constantly and carry a dull, aching character.
Acute back pain can be caused by the following diseases:
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar-sacral;
- lumbago, sciatica;
- intervertebral hernia (acute form);
- disc protrusion in the lumbar region;
- acute impairment of spinal circulation.
Sharp, paroxysmal pain may have a neuralgic nature, and occur when the following pathologies;
- pinched nerve roots in the lower spine;
- symptoms of multiple sclerosis affects the nerve fibers of the spinal cord;
- lumboschialgia accompanied by sciatica;
- degenerative sacroiliitis - purulent process in the sacrum.
Chronic pain, which manifests itself pulling, aching sensations, it is noted for the following pathologies:
- deforming spondylosis;
- tumors of the spine and spinal cord;
- scoliosis (curvature of the spine);
- infection - tuberculosis, brucellosis;
- inflammation rheumatoid arthritis;
- atherosclerotic changes in the abdominal aorta.
Irradiating (reflected) pain in the lumbar region occur in a patient with lesions of internal organs:
- diseases of the digestive tract (gastric, 12 duodenal ulcer, pancreas, gall bladder);
- renal colic urolithiasis, pyelonephritis;
- intestinal pathology - diverticulosis, tumors, ulcerative colitis, intestinal obstruction
- diseases of the pelvic organs.
Good to know
Many men say that really bad back in the lumbar region when the prostate or tumors of the prostate. Women have similar symptom causes an inflammatory process in the appendages, endometriosis, genital infections, or malignant tumors of the uterus and ovaries.
Localization of the pain syndrome
In the process of diagnostics the doctor should pay attention not only on the nature of the pain, but the area of its localization. Matching the patient's complaints with a degree of pain and the affected area, it is possible to assume, what the pathology is causing the discomfort. This will help to outline the scheme of examination of the patient and will expedite the correct diagnosis.
Back pain in the lumbar region on the right
If the patient complains of pain in the lower back on the right, the cause of this condition may be inflammation of the liver, gall bladder and right kidney. In intestinal obstruction or atypical manifestations of appendicitis pain appear on the right, above or below the waist.
Pain in the lower back on the left
The cause of this condition can become inflammation in the intestine, pancreas, tumor, trauma, degenerative disease (spondylosis, hernia). Pain on the left side of the lower back are observed in inflammation of the bladder, pyelonephritis, damaging muscles and ligaments in this area.
Back pain in the lumbar region in men
Worrying can cause excessive exercise. For example, back pain often affects professional athletes who do weightlifting, body building and there after sharp turns, bends, exercises with a barbell. Lumbar pain accompanied by workers who do heavy physical labor - loaders, construction workers, agricultural workers.
Very often the cause of the pain syndrome in men are diseases of the kidneys, neurological disorders (neuritis, sciatica), degenerative processes in the lumbar spine, which cause root compression (osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia, pinched sciatic nerve). If the kidney damage pain syndrome in the lumbar region is enhanced if the person is long in a vertical position, bends down, turns sharply. Factors contributing to the discomfort may be related diseases - diabetes, diseases of internal organs, inflammation in the prostate gland, neurasthenia.
Back pain in the lumbar region in a woman
In addition to the reasons listed above, back pain in women can provoke inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs (uterus, appendages), endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or malignant tumors. In addition, the lower back in women is often sick during pregnancy, as this period is significantly increase the load on the spine. The growth of the fetus, the center of gravity is shifted, and the woman may constantly feel a nagging pain in the lower back (especially when bending forward).
In late pregnancy relaxes the joints in the sacrum, as the body prepares for the upcoming birth. This process also causes tension and pain in the lumbar area. In addition, during pregnancy, often exacerbated chronic diseases. Inflammatory conditions of the urogenital system, kidney disease can manifest itself reflected pain in the lower back.
Sometimes, nagging back pain occur in women at different stages of the menstrual cycle, which may indicate the dysfunction of the reproductive system. In this case, as early as possible to consult a specialist and undergo the necessary examination. To provoke the characteristic symptom maybe abortion, which is associated with damage to the inner lining of the uterus, its contraction or development of endometritis (inflammation of uterus). In such cases the pain is localized in the lower lumbar and radiates to the leg.
Often the cause of pain in the sacrum becomes a difficult birth, accompanied by injuries and stretching of the birth canal. As you recover, these symptoms become less severe and disappear soon. If back pain in the lumbar region and radiates to the legs, the reason may be the displacement of the vertebrae or pinching the nerve roots that occurred during childbirth.
How to treat lower back pain?
First the patient is asked what kind of doctor treats back pain in the lumbar region and to what expert to turn to for help? First, you need to get on reception to the local therapist on set of symptoms and based on the results of the survey put the preliminary diagnosis and for further treatment, send the patient to specialists.
When lesions traumatic nature of the patient will guide the doctor - traumatologist. Inflammatory or degenerative lesions of the spine a rheumatologist, orthopedist, neurologist. In diseases of the digestive tract treatment the gastroenterologist provides. If the cause of the pain lies in the defeat of the genitourinary system, the woman should address to the gynecologist, the man to the urologist. With the development of tumor process the patient deals with the oncologist.
With the appearance of sharp back pain - the so-called "lumbago", it is recommended to take the pill any analgesic (Baralgina, Analgin, Ketanova) and try to take a comfortable position where the pain is felt not so much, and relaxes muscles. If no effect after 40 minutes, you can take stronger medication - Ketorol, Tramal, Diclofen. These powerful painkillers can be used no more than 2 times a day.
Remove the muscle spasm will help spazmolitiki (But-shpa, Drotaverine, Papaverine, Duspatalin). You can take a pill or diuretic (Furosemide, Veroshpirona), which eliminate puffiness and help to release pinched nerve roots. Of course, all these means are used only as a first aid in case of attack of sciatica or sciatica that does not preclude visits to the doctor.